If you weren’t able to attend this week’s Career Conversation, please see Schuyler Hunt’s Ten Thoughtful Tips about Advertising!
1. There are five areas of advertising to consider; Art Direction, Copywriting, Communications Strategy, Creative Brand Management, Creative Technology.
3. Consider graduate school to gain skills necessary to enter the field.
4. Start building your advertising book (portfolio) now; create your own projects for companies, show how you would advertise for them.
6. Be your unique self… in advertising it’s important to show your personality in your work; be quirky, "no room for normal."
7. Be prepared for failure; don’t give up when you get turned down, for every success you will have many ideas that never became realities.
8. Work as an intern; there is so much to learn on the job, especially with the fast pace of technology.
10. Find a mentor in the field! Reach out to current members of the field to get the inside perspective.
-Emily Merritt, Graduate Assistant, Boston College Career Center