For the past couple of days I’ve talked a little bit about myself and the industry and how I’ve navigated through my career. My perspective, while hopefully insightful as a small slice of the industry and job profile, is obviously limiting. So in order to help those of you who are following this thread, I thought I’d share a few links to some useful sites and aggregators.
- Top Consultant Blog – I stumbled across this blog a while ago and have found it to be a useful source to triangulate or glean additional perspective on the field. Take it with a grain of salt, but there are definitely some lessons to be learned.
- The Vault – Vault is a good source of information that follows the Amazon.com user review model. Again, beware of the opinions shared as user review sites typically lean toward the negative, but again, it’s a data point.
- Wetfeet – This site aims to provide a similar set of information as this RealJobs blog. There are articles and summaries of key industries and tips and tricks. And this one is fairly unbiased, a good read.
- Consulting Magazine – If you’re interested in Consulting and/or are applying for a job in this space – read this publication. It’ll provide you with current events (great fodder for interview questions) . Subscribe for free here!
And lastly, here are 2 views that serve as a neat and tidy Point – Counterpoint discussion. Take a read and see where your opinions lie.
- Why Do Companies Pay Consultants So Much to Tell Them What They Already Know? – Well, to be honest, this article is a bit snarky,
- And, “In a retort to those who argue that large sums of money are wasted on consultants,” take a peek at this Financial Times article, “Consultants offer £60bn value for money, says study”.
All in all, how you view the consulting field and the opportunities within can vary widely – as I’ve said before “It depends”. Just ask these guys, they build their brand on it!